I LOVE stripes. My husband loves stripes. So we reckon Little Miss will too, damnit.
In that hope, I took a tshirt that greyed in the wash, and pepped it up by adding Breton stripes with a Dylon Fabric Painting Broad Nib Pen. As you can see, we’ve gone for the artisan look. Oh alright – I was rubbish at it. Drawing straight even lines on jersey is hard! Disappointed but not disheartened – the final tshirt has *some* impact…
Next time, I’ll
- stretch the fabric really tightly over cardboard to minimise stretch/drag
- mask off the stripes with tape for a more even line
- draw *down* the fabric (not across) – this will take longer but gives a more even colour application because the fabric stretches less
- practise writing her name better!
Posted in Dyeing, finished projects, refashioning, things for other people, toddler clothes, will she wear it?
Tags: Breton, refashion, Striped, stripes, t-shirt, tee, toddler, upcycle
Following my daughter-seal-of-approval of the sunshine yellow skirt, I’m on a secret operation to make a bunch more. But shhhh! Don’t tell anyone, because it’s a… you know! Operation Sunshine Yellow begins…
First step: preparing the fabric. An overnight soak in the bath removes the starch from the fabric – which is used to literally stick the threads together while it’s being woven. Then into the washing machine with some Dylon machine dye.
Next step: refining the construction process. While making up three skirts in three different sizes I learn:
- my overlocker blade gives up the ghost when cutting through more than four layers of fabric. So I precut some of the side seams before overlocking
- my labels melt if I iron them at maximum temperature. So I’ll give that a miss next time.
- put pockets on before doing the side and back seams. Otherwise, you’re working in a tube of fabric that’s only 25cm wide – very fiddly!
- I should consult my commercial patterns fffffor construction methods – a slow learning curve at this stage impinges on my fffffmotivation and satisfaction.
- I need to ffffffffix the ‘f’ key on my keyboard. It’s sticking and makes me express myself in fffffunny way.
All in all – this is a good place to be. At the end of my first week, I’ve run up three trial skirts in sizes 18m, 2y and 3y. Next steps – getting my numerous toddler friends to try them on and see how they fit!
Posted in Dyeing, sewing, skirt, things for other people, toddler clothes, using the stash
Tags: dylon, georgeina baker, handmade toddler clothes, machine dyeing, remove starch, skirt, sunflower yellow, sunshine, sunshine yellow skirt
Leave a comment
Today I completed my first project in my new workspace. I set my sights on something low tech but important: replacing the backs on a trio of cushion covers for my sister-in-law, as promised, about five months ago.
Using the same technique as I’ve done for previous cushions – a lapped zip – and using up some leftover duck from the stash, I whipped it up in no time. Well, over two days. With one MAJOR unpicking. But they turned out alright!
So far, so good. The aim is, over the next couple of months, to take a huge chunk out of the stash as it takes up simply TOO much space in our home. Watch this space and keep me company. Expect giveaways, pop-up sales, refashions, tears and the usual dollop of frustration.
Next project – a flurry of sunshine yellow skirts for all the girlie toddlers in my life.