I often read blog posts where something that is super-complex, beautifully finished AND winningly photographed is described as having been ‘whipped up’. I yearn for the day when a few hours at the kitchen table / sewing machine results in a well-fitting, photogenic, suitable and stylish garment.
Don’t get me wrong folks, I don’t not believe you. It’s just that ‘whipping up’, with its implications of speed, deftness and lack of mind-boggling so infrequently describes my making process.
Maybe I need to cut back on the staring into space and taking on hyper-complicated concepts (like projects without sewing patterns AND future-proofed for body shape changes AND complex fabric patterns that require pattern-matching so they don’t look daft – all in one garment).
However, last night’s baby hat creation really was a genuine whip up. I didn’t time it, but I think we’re talking about 10 minutes. And I’m quite pleased with it – although frustrated that I’ll have to wait at least 2 ½ months to see if I got the fit right.
- one jersey roll neck. Mine is from the irresistably cheap but questionable Primark. The rollneck itself is double thickness with a central seam at the back.
- cut off roll neck and turn leftover tshirt into v-neck (much more flattering to my maternal bosom shape)
- cut off resulting ‘V’ and cut into 7-10mm wide strips
- fold strips in half, then tuck into top of cut edge of roll neck, at corners
- overlock /zigzag the cut edge of roll neck, making sure to catch strips in stitching
- trim loose threads.
Erm, that’s it. I didn’t take pics as I went along, but the drawings should give you the idea…