About a month later than intended, the Valentina cardigan is finally finished. A friend was donated a cardigan by a relative, and not to put too fine a point on it, it was designed to drape and flatter the stout, matronly bosom – not my friend’s lithe frame. I tucked it in my bag and went off with the promise to transform it.
Now I’ve been up close and personal, I totally see why my friend was attracted by the delicate colour. Cor. Hope she agrees it’s more wearable since I spent a couple of hours, knuckling down to
- shorten the sleeves by 3″ with handrolled hems
- cut 3″ off the bottom (more handrolled hems) and
- fashion a wee corsage or three from the leftover.
It’s in the post, as they say. x
The corsages I made up as I went along. Made from the leftover sleeves edges, the turned hem gives them a nice finished edge. All you need to do is
::: overlock the raw edge to make a long wedge
::: secure the small edge with a couple of hand stitches
::: sew a running stitch along approx 2″
::: gather up the running stitch, wrapping it round the centre of the bud, then secure with a couple of hand stitches
::: repeat until you run out of wedge and secure the end with a few hand stitches.
::: Without cutting the thread, hold the flower in place, squidge (or you can smoosh, either works) it around until it makes the right kind of shape, and then using a running stitch between, sew it down in about six different spots so it keeps its shape.
:: When you’re happy with its look, finish off with a few small stitches. And a knot if you prefer the belt and braces approach. It works nicely when you use the square finished edge to stick out in a leaf styley. Like the one in the middle below.
And as the french say, eh voilar!